Thursday, December 22, 2011

Area Student Receives Award for Membership in 30 School Clubs

Senior at Clements High School, Lisa Smith, received on Thursday an award she has been aiming for her entire high school career, the Award of Highest Honor for Club Membership, a prestigious award given to one senior every year who has been a part of the most school clubs/honor societies. The purpose of this honor is to encourage students to get involved in as many clubs as possible because, as we all know, there is simply no point in applying to college unless one has been a member of at least 10 different clubs and had at least 8 leadership positions.

Ms. Smith is a member of Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross club, Students for Christ, Students Against Destructive Decisions, Philosophy club, Students of the world, Student Union, Debate club, Hindi Club, DECA, Japanese Club, Asian Cultural Exchange Club, Student Council, NHS, Spanish, Hebrew, Art, Music, and English honor societies, Model UN, Clements Earth, and that club that plants trees, along with many others. She is the President of five of those, Secretary of three, treasurer of four, social officer of two, and self-proclaimed uber-involved-member of the rest. Oh, and she is also the Senior Class President.

When asked how she handles the responsibility of all these clubs along with her 7 AP classes, she explained, “Well, you see, you don’t actually have to go to all the meetings for most of these clubs, so I only go to the ones that are important. I mean, they’re all important of course, but a lot of them everyone just joins to say that they are in it, so since everyone else does it, so do I.”

We asked her what her favorite club was, she responded, “Oh, definitely Red Cross because I can get so many volunteer hours that are really easy…um, I mean, I really like the warm fuzzy feeling I get when I know I am helping the less fortunate.”

Smith plans on attending either the University of Chicago, Duke University, or UT Austin, and explains that the only reason she even bothered to apply to these prestigious institutions was because she knew they would like all her extra-curricular activities.

“I knew I would stand out from the hoard of other smart people who would be applying because I am, in comparison, well-rounded.” she explained, “Did you know that some people choose to focus on just a few clubs that they really care about instead of being smart and joining them all? Community College for them I suppose.”

No comments:

Post a Comment