Friday, December 2, 2011

Area Teen Takes 26 APs

Sugar Land, Texas - Clements studen Kevin Lin has signed up for a record-breaking twenty-six advanced placement exams.
AP tests take place in May and can be used for college credit at some universities.
Lin says he started studying last November after scouring Half-Price Books for Princeton Review guides to all the subjects he tested in, ranging from English Language to European History to Biology. "I could only fit nine AP classes into my schedule because our school system is limited to seven-hour school days," complained Lin, who has been petitioning for ten-hour days and a shortened summer. "I mean, if I want to take English III and IV at the same time, I should be able to. It's a constitutional right."
"Wait, no, it isn't," he adds after a minute. "Dang it, I have to know this in an hour. What's the fifth amendment again?"
Lin, a junior, is planning to attend the University of Texas at Austin after his senior year to triple major in chemical engineering, biochemistry, and mathematics while enrolling in three honors programs and preparing for pre-law and pre-med. If UT accepts all of his AP hours, he will be able to enter as a second-semester junior. "I'm pretty sure they don't take human geo, though," he remarks irritantly. "Probably not Hebrew, either. Nobody takes Hebrew."
When asked why he had signed up for the Hebrew AP if it would not yield him a credit, Lin replies, "But it still looks good, right? I mean, if I'm going to get accepted in this competitive market, I need a really strong transcript. Without Hebrew, I might as well not even bother applying to college at all."
Lin is in the top 2% of his class, which guarantees him automatic admission into any public Texas university.
"My advice to other students would be to take as many classes and APs as possible," says Lin. "College is way more important than sleep. I haven't slept in two months, and I'm still alive."
"Now if you'll excuse me, I have an AP to take."

No comments:

Post a Comment